submission 3

I arrived on the balcony of a fourteenth floor apartment. Running my fingers through the red ribbon tied to the railing I use it to mark my door amid the sea of balconies. Walk into one neighbor's flat thinking it's yours and you learn fast. The frigid sea air whipped around my shoulders as the sun started to rise out of the white capped grey waters behind me. 

I slid the door open, stale air twisted with silence rushed out to greet me. I stepped inside leaving the door open. The trapped air is still rushing to freedom. I dropped my bag, kicked off my shoes,  grabbed a beer out of my empty fridge and stepped outside. 


Limited by how far I could jump by how far I could see. I looked up at the dark velvet sky. Lights from the city overwhelmed the stars. I counted a handful strange enough to shine through. I winked back at the and raised my bottle. That's when I saw it. It simmered just for a second. I focused on it a little too hard. I tried to pull back but it was too late. 


I popped into existence, my ears popped with the change in pressure and instant panic set in. I realize I am breathing and standing on a flat surface. Sirens began blaring from every direction. I open my eyes, humanoids sit at control panels frantically pressing controls. The rest stared at me in disbelief. Elongated fingers, scales, antenna and giant black eyes. I can read panic on all of them. 


I am pushed from behind as guards with staffs that flow blue at the ends. He prodes  me again and I feel a zap that pushes me forward. More security is approaching from all directions. I raise my hands in a hope that it's the universal sign for don't kill me and I make a run for the Windows. If I could just get a glimpse of the earth. I could get out of here.  A blow to the back of my head comes just as I see the beautiful blue atmosphere of home. 


My head is throbbing and my vision is fuzzy. I'm laying on something soft. I sit up carefully taking in the room as it spins. No windows not even on the door. The door has a key card scanner like a hotel. 

"You alright over there?" A voice from the wall asks me. "You caused quite a panic appearing like that." 

"Surprised me too." I groan with my head in my hands. "Any way out of this cell?

"I might be able to help you." 

Scratching and squeaking came from under my cot. A tiny brown mouse ran out from under the bed, looked up at me and twitches its nose. 

"Are you the help?" I asked.

It blinks and twitches again. 

"Your pal doesn't talk much." No answer from the wall. "Alright show me what you got." 

The mouse scampers to the door, looks back at me and shimmies under the door. A minute later he slides back under the door pulling a key card. It's black with a logo that looks like a bee playing  what looks like a trumpet. My new friend pushes the card towards me.  

"I'm following you." I scooped up my new friend and pressed the card to the scanner. The door slid open and we stepped into the hallway. I peeked into the cell the voice came from but it was empty. A crumpled blanket lay on the bed. 

I looked again at the mouse poking out of my jacket pocket. He just twitched his nose and looked around. 


I turned the corner to see a giant picture window with a full view of earth. I focused on the land I could see through the clouds. I could feel the sun on my face before u even opened my eyes. Language of the people around me, real people. I didn't understand it but the aroma of bread and chocolates made me smile. I took my new friend out of my pocket and set him on the ground. Paris welcomed us back.  

"I think you're going to like it here." But he was already gone. 

"I think we both will." His hair was ruffled. Like he'd traveled through space in a jacket pocket. In his outstretched hand was the keycard. "I'm in the mood for cheese." 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March 20 writing prompt

Submission 2